Thursday, May 17, 2012

Update

I'm so bad at blogging, I apologize for not updating this enough. Thankfully with this summer slowly creeping along, I think I'll have some more time to blog. So here's my upd8. I finished off my second semester of Freshman year with a 3.67 cumulative GPA, and a 3.9 within my major. Grades aren't everything, but I'm happy that I've done well enough to keep my scholarships.


Poetry Workshop and Interpretive Approaches were brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I think those two classes have taught me more about myself, art, and writing than any other class. Schaberg and Kristin are legendary.

 Last night I had a really cool conversation with a friend about postmodernism and absurdist art in relation to third wave feminism and the gurlesque. He questioned the integrity of a philosophy which denies the existence of a self as "fiction." I rebutted that postmodernism and Butler's articles on feminism don't necessarily deny the existence of a self, but the importance. I then argued that the self is mostly fiction, an image or mask or persona or whatever and that this creation or projection or performance of the self IS the self, citing Gaga's manifesto of Little Monsters. We settled on the idea that there is, at some point, some semblance of a "self" and that our idea of the "self" is made up of the adornments we attach to this rudimentary mannequin of a "soul" or "identity." Basically, clothes need a mannequin. The "real self" is the mannequin, but our projected or idealized "self" is the outfit (or lack of) and all the preconceptions weighted within the fabric of this projection.

Also, I've just sent off parts of my Killing the Wolf chapbook (Oh! I should make a separate post about that) to Sibling Rivalry Press, a really cool emerging press lead by the wonderful Bryan Borland. Keep your fingers crossed!



At the moment I'm unpacking my life at Loyola out of three medium sized boxes while listening to some Madonna. Accidentally broke my Emerging Leaders' glass frame. Anyway, that's really the only news I've got for now. I'm making notes all over my calendar to check and update this blog every day (don't hold me to this... maybe once a week) for the rest of summer term. Hopefully by then, it'll become second nature and I'll keep up with it during the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment